Monday, April 27, 2009

Grand children

Well, my Caterina is still too young to know me or my wife. I am sure she recognizes her mom and dad's voice, but beyond that at one month old not a whole lot going on. The wonder of life is just that wonder. I have been grizzly ever since this little girl has arrived in the world. I was in the waiting room while Deb was in the delivery room with Jill and James. I missed the first text message of the evening stating the babies heart beat was dropping. The one I got was "She is here" I don't think I will ever forget the moment I read this little three word text. I was in a fog at that point.
I received some new pictures today from Jill. I just stared at them. And again I got grizzly, this little girl has a good mom and dad. And this too makes me think, how blessed I am to know this grand daughter is being well taken care of. I had a dread come over me many years ago when Jill was born, a dread of responsibility. I made some flippant remark to Jill when she told me she was pregnant. Yet, several days latter I was driving to work and the same dread came over me. She is not mine directly, but I still feel a need to insure she will always be well taken care of. The beauty of being the grand parent is we are not involved with the day to day stresses of making sure there is food, a roof, and any other thing which a young child needs. Parents are far too busy taking care of the needs of a family. Grand parents can reflect and watch and just enjoy. She is still to young to be away from mom, but I am sure there will come a day when both mom and dad of this little one will get on me for sending her home wound tight!
I do not know when the next will come along but I am sure I will still be filled with the same feelings. My B has already informed us she is not up for kids. This makes me sad in some ways, however I don't want her to ever think she needs to make her mom and dad happy. What will make me happy in her life is that she finds the young man of her dreams. This is most important that all my children are happy. Nicole may some day settle down, but for now she is trying to get her sails set in the proper direction in the winds of life. I think though once she settles down she will have children. David is still too young to be in this same thought process. So to Nic, David and Becky I say I LOVE YOU. Please do not think we are solely focused on Jill and the baby. We still want to insure you are taken care of too. Same dread with them too, making sure they are always taken care of. Becky has her own place and she has a good job, so I don't have to worry about a lot anymore with her. Outside of the fact she drives TOO much.

No comments: